"COLOUR IS NOT INTENDED TO DESCRIBE BUT TO EVOKE." -LE CORBUSIER

Oklahoma is derived from the Choctaw Indian words "okla" meaning people and "humma" meaning red. Oklahoma is my home. Tinctoria is Latin, meaning to dye or color things; this is my work.

06 January 2010

Why Natural Color?


Woolly Rocks, 2010


I love color. Color is our Prime Materia, a life force full of energy. I love that humans seek color and pattern and that it surrounds us. Color is deeply rooted in our lives. Celebrating the sources of natural colors comes from recognizing the infinite possibilities that nature offers us. There is an art to extracting color from flowers, twigs, leaves, fruits, plants, roots, rinds, shells, bark, hulls, insects, earth and minerals. Collecting, harvesting and extracting natural colors from natural materials are about people, place and plants. It requires a bit of chemistry, alchemy, botany, geology, artistry and time.




"Color is one of those great things in the world that makes life worth living to me and as I have come to think of painting it is my effort to create an equivalent with paint color for the world- life as I see it."
-Georgia O'Keeffe


No comments:

Post a Comment